Day 3, and just completed the reading/recording of Chapter 3, Eckhart Tolle’s book, The Power of Now. Scroll down for the mp3.
The start of chapter 3 provides a brief simplification of what has been learned so far about the unconscious state: “identification with the mind, which creates a false self, the ego, as a substitute for your true self rooted in Being” (Tolle).
We are reminded that the needs of the ego are endless and that most of us derive a sense of self through the connection we have with our own problems.
Main concepts in this chapter:
- DON’T SEEK YOUR SELF IN THE MIND – “When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. The mind in itself is not dysfunctional. It is a wonderful tool. Dysfunction sets in when you seek your self in it and mistake it for who you are. It then becomes the egoic mind and takes over your whole life”
- END THE DELUSION OF TIME – “The more you are focused on time – past and future – the more you miss the Now, the most precious thing there is”
- NOTHING EXISTS OUTSIDE THE NOW – “When you remember the past, you reactivate a memory trace – and you do so now. The future is an imagined Now, a projection of the mind.”
- THE KEY TO THE SPIRITUAL DIMENSION – “If not now, when?”
- ACCESSING THE POWER OF THE NOW – “Make it your practice to withdraw attention from past and future whenever they are not needed. The moment you realize you are not present, you are present”
- LETTING GO OF PSYCHOLOGICAL TIME – “Learn to use time in the practical aspects of your life – we may call this “clock time” – but immediately return to present-moment awareness when those practical matters have been dealt with. In this way, there will be no build-up of “psychological time,” which is identification with the past and continuous compulsive projection into the future”
- THE INSANITY OF PSYCHOLOGICAL TIME – “In the normal, mind-identified or unenlightened state of consciousness, the power an infinite creative potential that lie concealed in the Now are completely obscured by psychological time”
- NEGATIVITY AND SUFFERING HAVE THEIR ROOTS IN TIME – “There is no salvation in time. You cannot be free in the future. Presence is the key to freedom, so you can only be free now”
- FINDING THE LIFE UNDERNEATH YOUR LIFE SITUATION – “Forget about your life situation for a while and pay attention to your life”
- ALL PROBLEMS ARE ILLUSIONS OF THE MIND – “When you create a problem, you create pain. All it takes is a simple choice, a simple decision: no matter what happens, I will create no more pain for myself. I will create no more problems”
- A QUANTUM LEAP IN THE EVOLUTION OF CONSCIOUSNESS – “The time-bound mode of consciousness is deeply embedded in the human psyche. But what we are doing here is part of a profound transformation that is taking place in the collective consciousness of the planet and beyond: the awakening of consciousness from the dream of matter, form, and separation. The ending of time. We are breaking mind patterns that have dominated human life for eons.
- THE JOY OF BEING – “Everything is honored, but nothing matters. Forms are born and die, yet you are aware of the eternal underneath the forms. You know that “nothing real can be threatened.”
I hope you enjoyed this chapter as much as I did. Thoughts?